What is a Trichologist?
Have you ever wondered what is a trichologist and what they do? A trichologist is a specialist who focuses on trichology, the study of diseases or problems related to the hair and scalp, as well as their treatments.
Although trichologists are not doctors, they can advise people who are having hair-related problems, such as hair loss or scalp conditions, hair breakage, oily scalp and scalp psoriasis. Some trichologists can also treat problems related to conditions such like alopecia and thichotillomania, or hair-pulling disorder.
Trichologists may perform the following tasks:
- Discuss scalp problems with clients.
- Examine the scalp, identify the problem, determine the cause of the problem and decide on appropriate therapy.
- Treat scalp problems such as dandruff, itchiness of the scalp, hair loss, baldness and excessive oiliness.
- Carry out a microscopic examination of the hair.
- Apply ointment or lotion to the scalp, massage or use electrotherapy machines and ultra-violet lamps.
- Treat damage sustained by the hair or scalp (as a result of the misuse of hair colouring, for example).
- Prescribe nutritional supplements and where necessary, refer clients to medical or paramedical practitioners.
To learn more about Trichology and what skills and qualifications are required, visit The Australian Institute of Trichology at this link: https://australianinstituteoftrichology.org/
Keep up to date with the latest in employment and recruitment in the hair and beauty industries at the HeadHunter blog.